USB Transfer from Portadisc to PC

Subject: USB Transfer from Portadisc to PC
From: mPATH Records <>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:56:31 -0800 (PST)
Yes, some sounds may sound ok to your ear at a lower
sample rate, but you are recording at a much lower bit
rate and thus much lower audio quality. Someone with
recording background could probably tell the
difference between a file recorded at 11k and 44k. I
can tell, but I work with audio all the time.

When I transfer recordings from DAT to my computer I
have to set the "clock" to TOS-link (the external DAT
player in this case) to avoid getting audible clicks.
There should be a way to allow the external digital
device to determine the clock rate at which the
recording is being transferred. I have the ability to
change the clock source from the control panel of my
input device on the computer. By default, your
computer is most likely using _its_ internal clock,
it's not in sync with the digital signal, and thus you
get audible clicks when transfering files from your
digital device.

If you can't change the clock source, another solution
is to transfer the recordings in analog.

Hope this helps,

Brian

> Hi,
>
> Sorry bring tha question back (I have already done
> so twice in the past
> few weeks), but I would like to find a solution to
> those clicks that I
> get more or less frenquently when transferring a
> track fom the Portadisc
> to my PC.
>
> Paul recently suggested that I should have a look at
> my system and/or my
> sound card input settings and that I should make
> sure they are at 44.1
> MHz and not at 48 MHz. I did not reply right away,
> as I wanted to test
> the solution first... My apologies, Paul. But I have
> not been able to
> find a single dialog box in Windows XP where I could
> access that
> setting. As I am using a laptop with a built-in
> sound card, I could not
> find any setting for it either. But A friend of
> mine, who was obviously
> having the same problem, used the solution described
> below : he lowered
> the input rate in Audition to 11Mhz. The transfer
> then appeared to work
> perfectly, then he just converted the resulting file
> back to 44.1Mhz. He
> says he could not notice any difference in sound
> quality...
>
> I would think that procedure would always result in
> a serious loss of
> quality... Can someone comment on that ?
> Many thanks,
>
> Dominique Laloux
runcated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com