Re: USB Transfer from Portadisc to PC

Subject: Re: USB Transfer from Portadisc to PC
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:24:48 -0500
From: "Dominique Laloux" <>

> Hi,
>=20
> Sorry bring tha question back (I have already done so twice in the past
> few weeks), but I would like to find a solution to those clicks that I
> get more or less frenquently when transferring a track fom the Portadisc
> to my PC.
>=20
> Paul recently suggested that I should have a look at my system and/or my
> sound card input settings and that I should make sure they are at 44.1
> MHz and not at 48 MHz. I did not reply right away, as I wanted to test
> the solution first... My apologies, Paul. But I have not been able to
> find a single dialog box in Windows XP where I could access that
> setting. As I am using a laptop with a built-in sound card, I could not
> find any setting for it either. But A friend of mine, who was obviously
> having the same problem, used the solution described below : he lowered
> the input rate in Audition to 11Mhz. The transfer then appeared to work
> perfectly, then he just converted the resulting file back to 44.1Mhz. He
> says he could not notice any difference in sound quality...
>=20
> I would think that procedure would always result in a serious loss of
> quality... Can someone comment on that ?
> Many thanks,

It would depend in a large degree on what the sounds were. You would be
limited to sounds below 5.5 kHz, which is pretty severe. And even below
that limit you would only have 1/4 the number of samples, so transitions
would not be near as well defined. Not the way to go. For nature
recording it would probably ruin most recordings.

Did you try Paul's suggestion of using a external USB 1.1 hub? That may
make a end run around the internal USB 2.0 controller, which is the real
problem.

If that does not work, my suggestion is to look into getting a USB
interface like I use. I use the older Roland UA-30 and use the optical
digital output from the Portadisc. Edirol has a number of different
models now, and there are other companies. I've never had a click
problem with that except once when SparkXL got set for a different
soundcard. Peak is reading that it's using it's internal sync on the clock.