USB Transfer from Portadisc to PC

Subject: USB Transfer from Portadisc to PC
From: "Dominique Laloux" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:55:05 +0100
Hi,

Sorry bring tha question back (I have already done so twice in the past
few weeks), but I would like to find a solution to those clicks that I
get more or less frenquently when transferring a track fom the Portadisc
to my PC.

Paul recently suggested that I should have a look at my system and/or my
sound card input settings and that I should make sure they are at 44.1
MHz and not at 48 MHz. I did not reply right away, as I wanted to test
the solution first... My apologies, Paul. But I have not been able to
find a single dialog box in Windows XP where I could access that
setting. As I am using a laptop with a built-in sound card, I could not
find any setting for it either. But A friend of mine, who was obviously
having the same problem, used the solution described below : he lowered
the input rate in Audition to 11Mhz. The transfer then appeared to work
perfectly, then he just converted the resulting file back to 44.1Mhz. He
says he could not notice any difference in sound quality...

I would think that procedure would always result in a serious loss of
quality... Can someone comment on that ?
Many thanks,

Dominique Laloux

> Have you tried lowering the sampling rate when transferring from the
portadisc to the computer to get rid of the clicking and popping and
> not lose data?  I've been doing some recording this week and when I
tried to move it to the computer with a CD quality sampling rate
> of 44100 I kept losing bits of data/sounds.  When I lowered the rate
to 11025 for the transfer, everything worked very well and then
> I converted it to 44100 sampling rate for playback onto a CD audio
disc with good results.
> (...)
> I only noticed a change in quality when I dropped the bit rate to 8
from 16.  I actually wound up transferring in 32 bit mono, although
> I have no idea if the sound card in my computer supports 32 bit.
After transfer, I converted everything to 44100 at 16 bit stereo
> (simulated, of course).
>Quality on finished product was equal to my ear to the original
minidisc.