Re: Sound files may now be posted in messages!

Subject: Re: Sound files may now be posted in messages!
From: Magnus Robb <>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:07:21 +0100
Hi Doug,

I am one of those for whom attachments are not welcome, simply because
I travel a lot. In some countries it takes forever even to download
simple text email. I also have a limited mailbox capacity and sound
files I don't really need from the group could be blocking important
stuff. Recently when I came back from a 3 week trip to the Cape Verde
Islands there were about 450 mails from NatureRecordists and it's taken
me 2 weeks to catch up with reading them! Even if there was had been
just one sound attachment per 50 mails they could have taken up about
40% of my mailbox in just 3 weeks! I don't know anything about
administrating such groups, but if it were available I'd sign up for an
attachment-free version and hope that those that want the attachments
in their email can have them. Then I'd download the sounds when I want
to (probably most of the time when not travelling) from some webpage.
Could you arrange something like this? It would be a pity to have to
sign off completely every time I go travelling. Or is the solution to
read the messages (and download the sounds when I want to) on the
Yahoogroups website?

Anyway... your mystery sound: it's a mystery to me too. Whatever it is
I don't think I've heard one this (east) side of the Atlantic! Sounds
like you're going to surprise us so here's a wild guess: maybe it's
some kind of musical raptor (reminds me vaguely of 'our' Short-toed
Eagle) but the fact there's more than one may count against this; or
could it be a not so virtuosic very slow vireo of some kind...? On the
other hand, if I had to guess the biotope from the sound I might go for
a desert habitat. In the deserts of north Africa and central Asia the
few birds that live there often have much slower, less detailed,
lower-pitched, mellower and more whistling songs than their relatives
from other habitats. Examples include the amazing Hoopoe Lark and the
Desert Wheatear.

cheers,

Magnus Robb