Re: The Sony MZ-N1 in the field.

Subject: Re: The Sony MZ-N1 in the field.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:55:29 -0500
From: Marty Michener <>

> Nature listeners:
>
> As you may recall, we left him headed for western Mexico.  What he never=

> said was: on this trip I am tired of the HHB weight and it locking up at=

> critical times, I think I'll just take my son's MX-N1 at 1/25th of the we=
ight.

As I remember you were not sending it in because you did not want to be
without it. I take it you still have not sent it in for the lockup
problem? I understood that they did sort all that out for everybody else.

> Nancy and I met him around 7:30 and took a public bus south of Puerto
> Vallarta to a village called Junta de los Veranos.  We then walked east o=
> the main dirt road, trying to see and hear whatever presented itself.  NB=
:
> Because of Sony's habit of waking up in the automatic record gain mode, I=

> made each recording and only used the [pause] between cuts.

Did you ever try holding down the pause and record when you started up?
After a few seconds of holding the buttons the one I used to use would
switch direct to manual record without all the fussing around. That's
the only way I ever used it.

THIS IS A BIG
> MISTAKE!  After about 20 or thirty cuts, we will never know exactly, and=

> well before the end of the free space on the MD, the recorder locked up. =
> lost sound without warning in the headphones and when I looked at the
> display it said: TOC EDIT.

I'm guessing the buffer it uses to store that info filled. When I was
using a walkman I'd make a point of shutting it down between recordings
just to be sure. I never lost a TOC with any minidisc recorder.