Re: The Sony MZ-N1 in the field.

Subject: Re: The Sony MZ-N1 in the field.
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:24:54 -0500
>Walt wrote re my lock-up-special HHB Portadisc:
>As I remember you were not sending it in because you did not want to be
>without it. I take it you still have not sent it in for the lockup
>problem? I understood that they did sort all that out for everybody else.

I'de rather do my own repairs.  You can call me a curmudgeon.  I have had
documents lost by shipping you would not believe.
The new program chip they sent me to fix it I replaced and it didn't fix
it.  Tell me what to do with it.  Anyone? Another chip maybe?

>I'm guessing the buffer it uses to store that info filled. When I was
>using a walkman I'd make a point of shutting it down between recordings
>just to be sure. I never lost a TOC with any minidisc recorder.

Well, when it suddenly says TOC EDIT for fifteen minutes, you can be sure
you're gonna lose it!

>Walt

Buffers come and buffers go.  As you suggest, with equipment, a certain
amount of operating paranoia, to quote from Johnny Fever from WKRP, "is
just good sense."

I do always manage to use devices "in ways they were never intended", from=

cameras to computers. I accept the grief they give me back; I also accept
the unusual results I get.  For example, of the three thousand photos that=

I took that went to make up the 360 finally used in my new grasses book,
even the photomicrographs were all made with a CoolPix 990, no additional
lenses, scopes, etc.  The modifications I had to make of the strobe system=

to get close-ups at 2 cm exposed correctly would make an interesting web
page sometime - hint I heavily use black-electricians tape and white paper=

baffles - but that is beside the microphone pointing. ;- )

The bird sound results of my "one track mining" are posted on my web site
for six new bird species, half way down on my new
<http://www.enjoybirds.com/index_files/page0033.htm>Puerto Vallarta
page.  Especially listen to Melanotis caerulescens, the Blue
Mockingbird.  Unlike any of the ten or so other Mimids I've
recorded.  Nice, weird.  Love to study it a lot more.  Steve N. G. Howell
says it has numerous sounds, hard to catalog.

I send my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.
P. O. Box 269,
Hollis, NH      03049

Graminoids - a new book for naturalists who have never been able to
identify sedges and grasses.
http://www.enjoybirds.com/HomePublishing/PubHome.htm#gram