Re: Bewick's Wren vs E Towhee

Subject: Re: Bewick's Wren vs E Towhee
From: "Evert Veldhuis" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:52:50 -0000
[Comlain mode on]

can't see the picture
can't hear the sound

don't get any link

just a grey box saying attachment not stored :(

insert swear here ...

[complain mode off]

--- In  "Jim Morgan"
<> wrote:
> Mark Phinney wrote:
>
> "Nice flickers....although I probably would have dismissed the
background bird as a towhee (not having much experience with Bewicks
wren)"

> The Eastern Towhee and it's western version, the Spotted Towhee
have calls that can be confused with the Bewick's Wrens found in
Arizona. Note that the Bewick's wrens found west and east of Arizona
typically have songs that can be confused with a Song Sparrow. I
have often wondered about the boundaries of this difference in song.

> An example of this similarity is shown in the attached spectra and
sound recording:

> The spectra are of a Bewick's Wren, shown on the left and that of
an Eastern Towhee on the right. I recorded the wren in Arizona and
the towhee in North Carolina.

> The sound recording is in the same order as the spectra and is of
the same two birds. The similarity is very close.