Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors

Subject: Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:31:09 -0000
I use a 32" Greg Clark Parabolic. Not in commercial production.
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/rich.jpg

I am starting to think that not all people do hear the same way.  It
is true that I was blessed with good very high hearing.  As a kid I=20
played games with other kids at night where I would tell them where a
bat was going to be comming from because I could hear their echo
location calls at a distance.  Where most people do feel that the
Telinga makes a complex sound, sound closer, to me it does not, and
simply makes the sound shrill.

But in Sten's paper there should not be a warmer more amplified low
with a larger dish.  It should sound just as shrill.  I will look to
see if I saved some white noise comparisons between the Telinga and
the Greg Clark that I took at 100 feet in an outside setting. During
that test I made it a point not to care about "lab" conditions but
just pointed and did sweeps with both dishes at a van with the hatch
up and played white noise on the tape deck using the stock pathetic
speaker system.

Rich

--- In  Lang Elliott <>
wrote:
> Rich:
>
> I'd like to hear more about the Telinga being more "shrill". What
do you
> mean by that? Also, what large parabola are you using? A Roche?
>
> Is it possible that the larger parabola is simply adding more
amplified low
> frequencies, resulting in a somewhat warmer overall signal? Or are
you
> saying that any particular high frequency signal sounds different
when
> recorded with the smaller Telinga? A test of this would be to
record some
> standard signal with both parabolas, then use a steep high pass on
both
> recordings, but set the high pass below the frequency of the signal
being
> analysed. Then see if the two recordings sound more or less the
same.

> Or am I missing the point?
>
> Lang

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:03 2005