Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors

Subject: Re: the nature of parabolic reflectors
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:02:31 -0500
Rich:

I'd like to hear more about the Telinga being more "shrill". What do you
mean by that? Also, what large parabola are you using? A Roche?

Is it possible that the larger parabola is simply adding more amplified low
frequencies, resulting in a somewhat warmer overall signal? Or are you
saying that any particular high frequency signal sounds different when
recorded with the smaller Telinga? A test of this would be to record some
standard signal with both parabolas, then use a steep high pass on both
recordings, but set the high pass below the frequency of the signal being
analysed. Then see if the two recordings sound more or less the same.

Or am I missing the point?

Lang