Re: Digest Number 1279

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1279
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:10:46 -0500
>    From: "Rich Peet" <>
> Subject: Re: what is "shrill"
>
> I will agree with that Lang.
> Now to determine if I am nuts, which should be a separate thread on
> its own, I did a comparison over time.

My definition for shrill is the combination of loud high frequency with
some unpleasant sensation. Sounds like we are all more or less on the
same definition.

You are not nuts, each of us hears differently. And a term like shrill
contains a lot of opinion, what one calls shrill another may call
something else.

> With the comparison I mentioned in my last post. I took a segment of
> each frog call over a about 5 seconds or so. I put the GC on the left
> channel and The Telinga on the right channel. Display was averaged
> over time, for frequency over volume. Primary energy noted at 3,500
> cycles, and was matched the same for each channel.  I see that the
> Telinga is 6 to 12 db louder from 4,000 to 13,000 cycles. That is my
> experience and I do feel I can hear that difference. I also feel that
> the GC is closer to reality of what the critter sounded like.  I like
> the telinga but still do prefer this larger dish and would like to
> see a equalizer curve to bring down the highs.  Now that I have this
> side by side file maybe it is easier to do.  I will try.

I can hear this difference, especially if I apply a 1kHZ cutfilter as
you do. But to me it's quality is not shrill, more like additional
detail. I've listened to it several times, at varying volumes, and it's
just not what I'd call shrill. Our ears must differ in some way, or our
interpretation. I can certainly hear shrill in some situations with the
Telinga.

I'm curious, here's the Telinga DAT Stereo recording with reflector:
http://loscan.home.mindspring.com/Tel.W.Refl.1.mp3
And here is the same location recorded with just the DAT Stereo mic, no
reflector:
http://loscan.home.mindspring.com/Tel.No.Refl.1.mp3

It was aimed at the bullfrogs, but do you hear shrill in the other stuff
with either or both? If you hear shrill in both, then it's going to be
something about the DAT Stereo mic, and not a dish effect. If these two
don't help on that, it's a experiment you should try. Along with, maybe
fitting a Telinga dish with the mic from your big parabola. Or the DAT
Stereo mic on your big dish.