Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: Jeff and Crystal Smith <>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:39:37 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

My name is Jeff Smith.  My wife and I are wedding photographers.  For over 4
years now, I spend many sunrises and sunsets at the Muscatatuck National
Wildlife refuge.  Before moving here I spent most of my time on the Brookville
Lake and in our "100 acre woods"!

Before moving to this area of Southern Indiana, I was an insurance salesman.

I'm living my dream doing full time wedding photography, and even having luck
getting some wildlife images published and art series sold.  It is still a
hobby, but one that has to pay for a 600mm lens I would like to have.

I found this group searching for information about recording sounds of the
wildlife I photograph.  Not sure what I want to spend on recording gear, and
don't know exactly what I need/want.  At this point I'm considering the
Sennhauser ME 67 mic, with a Sony Walkman type of MD recorder.  Not convinced
this is exactly what I want and need at this point.  But spending only slightly
more than I'm prepared to today, it works.  With that said, if waiting a few
months allows me to get something that would be exactly what I wanted and
needed, then it would be well worth the wait.  I'm talking possibly a few more
hundred dollars.

In the near future, I will be building my nature photography website.  Right
now I have nothing on it, but bought the domain "thenaturegroup.com" a long
time ago!  We are blessed with being very busy with our wedding photography
business.  We travel much of North America with it.  This year we have hired
some office help and hope to have time for wildlife photography and recording
the sounds of nature.

I know nothing about recording nature sounds, except what I have read.  Years
ago the equipment was too bulky, and too expensive, and very difficult to power
to do something like this.  Now things have changed dramatically.

I do give presentations on conservation and the wildlife in our area at the
local schools and some organizations such as Rotary.  We have five children
ages 14 to 8 and they attend 4 different schools in 3 different school
districts.  (Long story in itself).  But it does allow me the opportunity to
share with a larger group of students the beauty of the outdoors.  Our kids are
normal that if allowed they would watch cable TV and play video games and do
nothing else.

I love the outdoors and nature.  Last year I was blessed with photographing the
20 Wild Whooping Cranes on their migration back north.  This past couple of
weeks we had 1000's of Sandhill Cranes in our area migrating as well.

The recording of these bird sounds makes sense for me, and something I wish to
begin adding to my nature photography.  I'm terrible at attempting any of the
bird calls, but have a son who isn't too bad at it.  Although he scares off
more than we ever draw to us when making all that racket!  LOL  For now it is
important the kids learn to enjoy nature.  If I want solitude I get up and let
them sleep when I go out.  I still have my Shih Tzu who goes most of these
times with me.  So it is not my "business" to photograph wildlife, but it is my
hobby and a joyful experience any day I can walk in the woods for a few hours.

With the Whooping Cranes, I went alone, arrived before dawn, and stayed until
after dark.  I've done this a few times in special circumstances, and being
encouraged to take a more serious attitude about wildlife photography.

I wanted to introduce myself and say, I have read through all the archives from
January of this year!  I look forward to absorbing what you all share.  And as
I begin trying this for myself I will be certain to ask questions!  Any
pointers on equipment for about $600 to $800 for a complete set up, including
any special software would be greatly appreciated.  A cheaper walkman type of
MD recorder that would get me started could/would end up as a gift for one of
the kids when I upgraded to something better.  I still want a good quality
recording, not the best, but marketable or of benefit for the school
presentations, etc.

Glad I found the "Naturesongs" website that lead me to this group!

God Bless,
Jeff