Re: Sony MD recorder MZ-N1

Subject: Re: Sony MD recorder MZ-N1
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:42:27 -0500
From: Marty Michener <>

> I will start with my main questions for the MZ-N1:

I don't have any familiarity with that model but will comment based on
my experiences with the MZ-R30.

> 1. How do you keep from dropping the tiny thing? Five oz, smooth, no strap
> or handles???  Was there a case for it originally?

Learn the Vulcan death grip. It's a physics problem involving force
vectors. You work out a grip that will compensate for and absorb the
force of a button push. Get the math wrong and it vanishes from your
hand, to clatter on the pavement, probably still recording without even
a skip. I had one for the MZ-R30 that was quaint to look at, but worked
fine. And, once I got used to doing it resulted in few accidents and
pretty fast manipulation.

One of the big reasons why I originally went to the Portadisc.

The 'case' for my MZ-R30 was a soft fabric drawstring sack. I saw the
same for several other models. One of the small pelican cases would hold it.

> 4. Do you ever use the "hold" switch during a recording to prevent
> accidental random button presses?

I never did during recording. I did use it to prevent the recorder
turning on in transport.

> 5. Do you every use the cigar shaped controller?  Probably not very useful
> during recordings?

The vulnerability of these tiny recorders is the tiny switches under the
buttons. Those are the first thing to go. Using the remote will save
wear on the main switches, though for recording that's primarily just
the pause. Replacement remotes are generally cheaper than the switch
boards inside the thing. The Sony control chip has a function for remote
record button, but it's not implemented in the remotes.

> I have figured out how to record sounds from my 3 mics, now that I have
> miniplug adapters for all:
> A. Sony ECM-MS907 stereo - this cheap mic BTW has the boldest "deadspot" I
> have ever seen: If you set the switch to "90 degree" stereo and point the
> exact back AT the envinronmental noise source, e.g. bulldozer, then rotate
> the mic so one stereo lobe points as much as possible toward your wanted
> subject, it ain't bad.  This and the next are strictly high-b.g. noise
> level mics, not for the very, very quiet or distant subjects.  I found this
> out trying to announce a track from behind - it ain't there!

I should check if the ECM-MS957 is the same. I always did any
announcements from the side with it.

> My trial and error button protocol in order to record:
>
> I insert the earphones plug, then the (turned on) mic plug.  This sometimes
> turns on the recorder for reasons known only to Sony.
>
> Then I press [END] to get the thing to the blank part.
> Then I hold the bar up {pause, or || } and flick the Rec to the right.
>        This puts it into rec-pause mode, red LED flashing slowly.
> Then I press the star wheel { * } in once, roll down three steps to
> "RecVolume"
> another press { * } , and roll down one more to "ManualRec"
> another press { * }  and down down several times to "Rec 30/30" , meaning
> Rec at full mic manual volume.

Try holding pause and record longer when starting. On my MZ-R30 doing
that for a few seconds resulted in it switching directly to manual
record mode.

> To pause recording, thereby starting a new track, another pause up-bar  ||

I've always hated the notion that I would want a new track if I paused,
should have at least a option to continue with the same track.

> That summarizes my skills so far with the machine.  I still don't know how
> not to keep dropping it.  Maybe it is the 20 deg F. and the gloves?

Work on your vulcan death grip. Gloves might help, except in pushing
buttons.

> I am considering putting a neck string on it, with a heavy rubber band
> around the body.
> But this will prevent changing discs completely.
> Every surface has a button or gizmo that you might hide or press
> accidentally. . .

I usually recorded with the MZ-R30 just resting gently in my hand.
Sometimes in it's carry sack, though that was awkward. They are so light
you can almost dangle them by the heaphone and mic cords.