Re: King Rail vs. Virginia Rail

Subject: Re: King Rail vs. Virginia Rail
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:09:13 -0000
Thanks for the info and sound. But tell me do you have an assistant?
When you hold a bird in each hand by the mic who pushes the record
button?

Rich

--- In  Lang Elliott <>
wrote:
> OK, I couldn't resist. Here is my stereo example of a Virginia Rail
mate
> duet:
>
> http://www.naturesound.com/virgrail.mp3
>
> Not only do various rails duet in this fashion, but the Pied-billed
Grebe
> does it too, and I've heard and recorded Great-crested Flycatchers
> performing similar call duets.
>
> Lang

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:00 2005
Message: 18
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:14:04 -0500
From: Lang Elliott <>

I have ten assistants. They herded the rails toward me and we used a mesh
fence to concentrate them at an apex. They fought each other fiercely and
most died, except for one pair, which gave a victory duet and then promptly
expired.

I go to great lengths to get excellent recordings.

> Thanks for the info and sound. But tell me do you have an assistant?
> When you hold a bird in each hand by the mic who pushes the record
> button?
>
> Rich
>
> --- In  Lang Elliott <>
> wrote:
>> OK, I couldn't resist. Here is my stereo example of a Virginia Rail
> mate
>> duet:
>>
>> http://www.naturesound.com/virgrail.mp3
>>
>> Not only do various rails duet in this fashion, but the Pied-billed
> Grebe
>> does it too, and I've heard and recorded Great-crested Flycatchers
>> performing similar call duets.
>>
>> Lang
>

> "Microphones are not ears,
> Loudspeakers are not birds,