Re: King Rail vs. Virginia Rail

Subject: Re: King Rail vs. Virginia Rail
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:03:05 -0000
Thanks all, The King will be a life bird for me if I find one.
I am glad that we will not have to see every Virginia to find a King
as Rails like swamps that are not easy to get into.
It has not been reported for over 10 years locally now.

Virginia's do have some strange calls and they seem very directional.
Listen to the difference in the sound between the two channels.
This was recorded with a SASS before I got all the carriers out of
the MKH-110's.

about 300kb
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/kingvvirginia1.mp3

Rich

--- In  Doug Von Gausig <>
wrote:
> At 07:25 AM 2/27/2004, you wrote:
> >Hey Doug!
> >
> >Unique recordings of Virginia Rail. Do they hang out at Tavasci
Marsh? I
> >really wanted to hear your example of "syncophony" but when I hit
the link I
> >get a prompt that says "file not found".
>
> Thanks Lang, I fixed it. Try
> http://www.naturesongs.com/falcstri.html#LGRUI, click on the word
> "synchophony" in the long paragraph.
>
> Doug
>
> Doug Von Gausig
> Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
> Moderator
> Nature Recordists e-mail group
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:27:00 2005
Message: 6
Your recording is the "grunt duet". If you listen closely, you'll hear one
giving low calls to one side, while the mate gives a higher call to the
other side. But these are given in rapid alternation such that it sounds
like a call from anindividual.

Lang

> Virginia's do have some strange calls and they seem very directional.
> Listen to the difference in the sound between the two channels.
> This was recorded with a SASS before I got all the carriers out of
> the MKH-110's.
>
> about 300kb
> http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/kingvvirginia1.mp3
>

> Rich
>
> --- In  Doug Von Gausig <>
> wrote:
>> At 07:25 AM 2/27/2004, you wrote:
>>> Hey Doug!
>>>
>>> Unique recordings of Virginia Rail. Do they hang out at Tavasci
> Marsh? I
>>> really wanted to hear your example of "syncophony" but when I hit
> the link I
>>> get a prompt that says "file not found".
>>
>> Thanks Lang, I fixed it. Try
>> http://www.naturesongs.com/falcstri.html#LGRUI, click on the word
>> "synchophony" in the long paragraph.
>>
>> Doug