Re: Beginner

Subject: Re: Beginner
From: Jeff and Crystal Smith <>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:28:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi Walt,

You are right that I don't want the ultimate in performance!  I don't have that
kind of budget, and my odds of winning the lottery are only limited to finding
a winning ticket on the ground!  :-))

Actually I read the archives and noticed the wide range of opinions.  It is the
same with groups of photographers.  My belief is doing is better than
theorizing.  I ask questions as I'm ready to make the plunge.  The ME 67 is a
good start.  A consumer MD may be exactly what I need to get started.  It would
be good enough for me to get some experience!

With anything, as you mature with it, you want to improve as well.  In
photography it is more learning and practice.  The equipment has little effect,
once you have professional equipment.  Although we spent $20,000 for a digital
camera, which now can be purchased for $4500.  Not a bad investment though, it
is for our primary business, and it gave us 3 years extra experience with
digital photography.  It improved our work dramatically.  We have backup
equipment that we paid less than $1,000 for on Ebay.  This year if we continue
to receive all these blessings in our business, we will be getting two more
digital camera's.  One of the newer current varities, and another "outdated"
works perfectly well variety from Ebay!

In sound recording, it is not the same.  Improvement does come with learning,
and getting better and more knowledgable, but you can only get as good a
recording as your equipment will allow.  I'm not doing this full time
professionally!  And if somehow the marriage of our photography and sound
happened, we would have to be paid enough to make the investment in the
professional equipment!

Walt, you also asked a good question, do I want the call or some background
sounds as well?  Right now in my mind I'm thinking the call would over ride the
background sounds.  Although the background sounds may add an ambience.  I
don't know as I never thought of this too much.

I did see the additional expneses of the wind screens!  They blew me over in
their cost.  With photography there is a reason you pay some of the prices you
do for the improvement of quality.  The windscreens for the better mic's were
all similarly priced.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will grow with this.  Photography use to be
my hobby, and now it is my profession.  The nature recording is a new hobby
that I've had a lifetime interest in.  It also has some business potential as
well.

Anyway, today, I'm thinking the ME 67 seems to be the best mic I can afford.  I
do have the equipment to mount the ME67 on my camera tripod to keep handling
noise down.  It would be easy and fast to point in various directions.

Walt, I don't understand the earphones leaking sound?  I thought I'd use a
cheaper pair of earphones, is this a Duh?

Your comment that I need a starting point is valid and what I'm basing my
decisions on.  A starting point to get things that are needed, and will be
usable for many years.  I think I mentioned planning to upgrade the recorder as
necessary and affordable.  I also can imagine getting a variety of mic's as I
learn and grow.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments!

God Bless,
Jeff

Jeff and Crystal Smith
800-718-6659