Re: Battery Usage for HHB

Subject: Re: Battery Usage for HHB
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:44:44 EST
In a message dated 2/16/04 1:49:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
 writes:

> There are some very nice folding solar setups now that can supply a fair
> amount of power. They are pretty expensive, but could be the way to
> handle this. The small solar chargers won't charge enough batteries.

I recently returned from Ecuador where, for part of the time, we hiked
several miles over tough terrain and camped in the Sumaco forest. The HHB was a
problem because of its huge gluttony for battery eating..at least 3  8 packs
per
day if one leaves the machine on most of the time which I have to in order to
record quickly unexpected sounds. We had a mule and I brought many batteries.
But I would have needed 100 for 4 days and the rechargeable ones don't hold
their charge for, at best,  more than a day or so before they start to "bleed
off". So, I finally returned to my back-up TCM 5000 for the last days.

So my question is..what to do? If you are without battery charging ability
and in a forest where there is little strong sunlight penetration, how does one
stick with the HHB?

Thanks for the continued help.

John
John V. Moore Nature Recordings