Re: microphone self-noise, Sennheiser ME67 vs MKH70

Subject: Re: microphone self-noise, Sennheiser ME67 vs MKH70
From: "feith" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:14:41 -0000
The ME67's possibly incorrect 10 dBA self-noise value is listed on
sennheiser's web site, under Techn. Data:
<http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_access
ories_mke_03285?Open&row=2>

The 16 dBA self-noise value for the ME67 is listed in the Download
pdf manual and many websites...Oh well, another source of confusion
(add to that all the different noise specs, along with the MKH70
noise spec that goes up from 5 to 13 dBA when using the -10dB
attenuator switch, counterintuitively)

In any case, if anybody owns both a ME67 and MKH70 and could do a
simple stereo recording using the 2 mikes in a very quiet environment
and email it to me (i'll post it on the web), it would be of great
help to all who wonder about the MKH70's magical powers.

Also, the Senheisser site shows the Sensitivity of the ME67 as 50
mV/Pa in one page and 35 mV/Pa in another. The MKH70 shows a 50
mV/Pa. If the MKH70 really is about 3dB more sensitive, then the
lower noise-floor is more impressive (i could easily invent a
microphone with 0 dBA self-noise with 0 mv/PA sensitivity...that's
why I think noise values need to be normalized to be of any use)

As to the pre-amp survey, I use a DA-P1 and am amazed that it's pre-
amp noise was found to be noisier than the others tested-i've yet to
assign blame to the pre-amp instead of the microphone...

Thanks to those who've replied already,
John Feith
Madison, WI
Bird Song Ear Training Guide