Re: Hawaiian Soundscapes was Digest Number 1251

Subject: Re: Hawaiian Soundscapes was Digest Number 1251
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:19:08 -0500
From: "Robin Barber" <>

> Hey Folks:
>
> Just wanted to share some soundscapes I recorded in Hawaii in January. Th=
ey
> are located at: http://robinbarber.com/archive.html. Below is just some
> general information about the recordings:
>
> The soundscapes were recorded with a Rode NT4, and Sony PCM-M1 DAT, and a=

> makeshift windscreen mounted on a camera tripod. The windscreen was made=

> with wire screen (1/2 inch squares) covered in fake fur. The mic was in a=

> mount screwed to the tripod which had no suspension.

Another material that could be used to provide the supporting screen is
the "plastic canvas" which can be found in craft shops where it's mostly
used for needlepoint designs and such like. The widest mesh I've found
of that is 5/inch, not much different from the mesh of a rycote.

> The only sound processing was cutting below 250 Hz and normalization. I u=
sed
> the low frequency filter because I noticed rumble in many of the recordin=
gs.
> Some of the rumble was from distant helicopters/planes, some was from
> humidity which affected the mic quite a bit, and I=92m wondering if some =
may
> have been ground noise transmitted through the tripod.

Probably little of it was tripod noise. If the tripod was exposed to the
wind, it might vibrate from that, but that's about the only steady sound
transmitted through the tripod. Most the rest are things like footsteps,
passing cars, etc.

> My purpose in making the recordings was to create =93sound pictures=94 of=
 the
> places I visited. And lastly, as a beginner reviewing my work, my biggest=

> complaint about the recordings is a prevalent hiss, which I gather is mic=

> and/or pre-amp (PCM-M1) noise.

Another source of such hiss may be natural. Having lived in Hawaii I
know the trade winds blow steadily most of the year. The wind through
the trees can also create a hiss, most noticeable if it's palm trees,
but other trees and vegetation can do it too. I can remember the steady
background of that when I lived there. The short periods when the trades
did not blow always sounded unnatural. Since that wind sound is natural,
you have to come to a decision about it, it belongs. The mic just does
not tune it out the way our minds do. Only wind sound that does not
really belong is that caused by the wind blowing on the mic.

Otherwise you are right, it could be mic self noise or preamp noise.
Particularly if you recorded with the gain set way up. If moisture was
bothering the mic, that can also manifest itself as a sort of hiss.
Though I don't know if that mic does that.

You can also look at your windscreen. The fur you are using should be
irregular in length and not too stiff, otherwise it's possible to
develop some hiss off it. And, of course a cloth or fine screen outer
layer will do that.