Re: Surround Sound the easy way

Subject: Re: Surround Sound the easy way
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:24:06 -0000
--- In  "Rich Peet" <>
wrote:
> yea, you and a few more. To be direct and up front, I want to know
> how to encode without dolby being involved in video-v.
> Rich

I have found the easy answer to this question I raised before and got
no response to.

Audition will encode surround to a 6 channel wave or wma file.

The easiest and cheapest way to make surround for a PC user with
Audition is to encode as a WMA 6-Channel.

Multichannel WMA files are capable of being played back by anyone
that has installed the Windows Media Player version 9 or later, and
also has a multichannel output sound card and 5.1 speaker setup.
Microsoft also requires that the user is running Windows XP. If the
end-user has the Windows Media 9 player on any other Windows version,
then the multichannel file will automatically be "folded-down" by the
player to play as a stereo file.

Rich

PS. I made my decision on a field recorder.  That is to build,
configure, and case my own out of various available components and be
done before April. Design weight looks a bit heavy at 16 lbs.
Capabilities to exceed everyone elses of course. Waterproof to 1' but
it won't float, bulletproof, 1 to 8 channel, 24/96 max, full 14"
display options not depended on for operation but will be used in
setup, remote control,Solar re-charge at 5 watt rate, removeable 2.5"
Hard drive, DVD burner for backup. Many more options.  The race is
on. Can I beat sounddevices to a April deadline for vaporware. The
744 vs "don't have a name yet"