Re: Surround Sound the easy way

Subject: Re: Surround Sound the easy way
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:11:23 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> PS. I made my decision on a field recorder.  That is to build,
> configure, and case my own out of various available components and be
> done before April. Design weight looks a bit heavy at 16 lbs.
> Capabilities to exceed everyone elses of course. Waterproof to 1' but
> it won't float, bulletproof, 1 to 8 channel, 24/96 max, full 14"
> display options not depended on for operation but will be used in
> setup, remote control,Solar re-charge at 5 watt rate, removeable 2.5"
> Hard drive, DVD burner for backup. Many more options.  The race is
> on. Can I beat sounddevices to a April deadline for vaporware. The
> 744 vs "don't have a name yet"

I'd want mine to float. Probably something Pelican case based, or
designed so it could be used in one as necessary. Being able to be used
to record while floating would be good. Of course regardless of in or
out of a Pelican case it should be capable of recording in heavy rain,
snow, ice etc. without having to be protected.

I'd also want built in digital wireless mic receiver setup on all
channels. With the remote transmitter stereo and supplying reliable
phantom power.

If I'm going for higher sampling rates I'd want high enough to record
bats. And of course it should be capable of recording the entire
infrasound range too. With built in varyspeed to take care of getting
all that into the audio range.

Good luck on your dream machine, keep us informed.