Re: fostex fr-2 recorder

Subject: Re: fostex fr-2 recorder
From: "thorley_tom" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:58:11 -0000
Hi Roger,

> What do you think of the latest Nagra solid state linear machines the Are=
P2 and the Ares BB they are both only 16/48 machines but run on AA
batteries for 3-4hours recording on compact flash . The P2 in my hand at th=
is
precise moment weighs just 1 pound the BB which is out in a few months will=

weigh a whole 2 pounds.

Whilst the 48kHz dosen't bother me 16bit does I really aprreciate what the=

extra 8 bits can offer when recording unpredictable signals, it makes me
comfortable about not using a limiter so readily.

> More importantly the pre amp is silent not like my old Portadat or Portad=
isc.
Not as good as the Nagra V but very nice indeed.

I have demoed nearly all of the professional recorders that have come to th=
market and for me at the moment the Nagra V wins hands down in terms of it'=
sonic performance (it should do at the price!). For me however the lure of=

multitrack recorders is too great. Whilst I am sure Nagra will enter the
multitrack arena at some point I don't think I will have the patience to wa=
it. If
the FR-2's sonic performance is comparable to the PD-6 then I am not holdin=
my breath. Having said that at the price it might well be my first choice o=
f back-
up recorder.

Also I think that while the focus is on next gen. recorders at the moment i=
t is
worth remembering the Kamesan and the Sony DMX P0-1 mixers, both of
them are excelent sonically and crucially have digital outputs. Combined wi=
th
the cheapest of the next gen recorders that supplies a digital input a very=
 cost
effective ultra high quality solution could be afforded at 24/96.

Tom