RE: Intro and Questions

Subject: RE: Intro and Questions
From: michael fish <>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:11:57 +0000 (GMT)
hi martyn...

high in the hills between airedale and calderdale. in yorkshire, but near t=
he border with lancashire.

don't seem to have had any seriously bad weather here for ages [touch wood]=
. right now, we've got an icy cold north wind blowing, but it's been bright=
 sunshine all day. nowadays there's much talk here of climate change/global=
 warming, and it's true to say that the english climate does seem to be get=
ting much milder. but then, compared to big land masses like north america,=
 our weather is always going to be pretty mild i suppose. the main thing ov=
er here is that it changes all the time, as you know. we can have 10 types =
of weather in the space of an afternoon, particularly up here in the hills.

anyway. not a good idea to get an english chap onto the subject of the weat=
her. could go on all day, and clutter up everybody's inboxes.

the recent thread on starlings was of particular interest to me, as my home=
 city, bradford, was for many years host to millions of those wonderful bir=
ds. the local council managed to all but eradicate them during the 70s and =
80s, but many of us still remember the amazing sight of swirling clouds of =
birds coming in to roost each evening, darkening the whole sky. a sad loss =
to the city, although i'm sure many would disagree. for some reason, folk d=
idn't like to have all the buildings streaked with bird droppings :o) anywa=
y. at least i still have starlings roosting in the eaves of my house, appar=
ently raising generations there. something very warm and pleasant about wak=
ing each day to their friendly sounds.

anyway. this is quite a long answer to your question. i wasn't sure whether=
 an offlist reply might have been more appropriate, so apologies to anyone =
who might see it as a waste of bandwidth.

all the best.

michael fish .  .   .

Martyn Stewart <> wrote:
Whereabouts in the motherland are you from Michael?

I see your e-mail ends In UK, how is home, I hear you have had some bad
weather over there?

God I missed Christmas over there this year, we are getting the snow now
here in Seattle and the winds are hitting us from all angles!

Martyn :-)