Intro and Questions

Subject: Intro and Questions
From: "Seth Factor" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:37:26 -0500
Hello NatureRecordists,

I'm about to get involved with recording natural sounds.  I've been interested
in making my own recordings for years now, since I first began using CDs and
tapes to learn bird songs.  Visiting the Naturesongs website  has inspired me
to finally commit to investing in some gear.

I'm planning to spend the spring and summer in Ecuador playing with whatever
gear I ultimately decide to buy.  My main objectives for recording will be to
aid in my learning of songs, to create a personal reference catalog, and
potentially to contribute to regional archives.  My motivation comes from the
fact that there is little in life that I enjoy as much as identifying bird
vocalizations.

The gear I am considering is as follows:

Sennheiser MK66 shotgun mic
Telinga Universal Handle, fit with a Sennheiser MK62 omni mic (sharing the K6
power mod with the MK66)
Sharp DR-7 or Sony MZ-N10 MD recorder
External Speaker (to be determined)
Headphones (to be determined)

I've been reading through the list archives, but am still left with a few
questions.  Hopefully some of you can help.

First, I am a little concerned about the accepted legitimacy of MD-compressed
bird songs for scientific archival.  I am committed to going with MD, but am
wondering how much difference there is between Sony's ALTRAC DSP, and Sharp's
version of ATRAC.  I've noticed that both of the dealers that I believe are big
with the scientific community, Stith and Saul Mineroff Electronics, sell Sony,
while members of this list seem hot on Sharp.  Is it just a given that Sharp's
compression format is on par with Sony's at this point?

Second, I have read a comment from a guide stating that he needed to have a
transformer custom built to match his Sennheiser mic to his Sony MD recorder.
Though I have heard from another list member that you can get an adapter that
has the transformer built in, I am wondering if this is necessary with Sharp MD
recorders as well.  Any ideas from the members of the list?  Advice on adapters
and transformers from people who have applied them would be a great help.  I am
a little electronically challenged.

Finally, if anyone could lend suggestions on a compact, light speaker to use
for playbacks, or plans for setting up the speaker, recorder, and mic for easy
use in the field, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might have to offer.  I look forward to
contributing to the list in the future.

Seth