Re: problem with distortion

Subject: Re: problem with distortion
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:26:06 -0500
From: Martin Tillman <>

> I'm aware of the Sennheiser windshields.  I used to operate Senn gunmics
> with and without Senn. windshields for years when I was a BBC employee.
>   I remember when, about 10 or 12 years ago, we got our first Rycotes as
> replacements for knackered Sennheisers.  I agree with Walt - the Senns
> are better, and by some margin.
>
> However, I imagine Senn windshields are only suitable for Sennheiser
> mics, or mics of an extremely similar dimension, and if anyone thinks
> Rycotes are expensive (like I do), then the price of Sennheisers would
> be truly shocking.  I value the relative reliability of my blood pump
> too much to risk looking at the Sennheiser windshield price list.

The Sennheiser suspension and windshield system would handle pretty much
anything a standard zeppelin rycote mono could. There are several
lengths. Though really short mics would have to be happy in the ones
made for a MKH-20.

I like the Sennheiser because the suspension is more robust and simpler
and gives room for my M/S setups, can't fit them in a mono rycote. I
like the windshield because it's a more robust build, both the mesh and
the frame pieces. It's also got the fine screening on the outside,
making it smoother for slipping on the fur layer. I actually use Rycote
clips, however. They, and o-rings are the only parts I buy new.

You can see some of my Sennheiser setups here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/my_ms_setups.html

I've never actually hunted up the new prices of the Sennheiser stuff. I
accumulate mine off ebay, and there the sennheiser does not garner quite
as much interest as rycote. With time and watching, you can come away
with some pretty decent prices.

I don't think I've ever seen any of the lightwave stuff on ebay.