Re: Some advice needed, please

Subject: Re: Some advice needed, please
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:57:51 -0500
From: Klas Strandberg <>

>>From: Walt
>>In fact the DAT Stereo element will function as a nice stereo element
>>without the reflector, filling the role that the ME 62 was for. You
>>could get by with just the Telinga.
>

> Just a note, 2 * ME62 will give a "spacier" AB stereo than the Telinga
> stereo DATmic. More difficult to use, though. Two tripod mounts are neede=
> for such a set up, as it has to be at least a meter or so between the mic=
's.

> Klas.

One should not get the idea that the Telinga stereo DATmic is the
ultimate in stereo mics, because there are plenty of designs that will
do better in different situations. But if one is limited as to funds,
and you are getting the Telinga anyway, using the Stereo DATmic will
avoid having to immediately lay out money for two mics for other stereo
setups, and will give respectable stereo.

My own suggestion for farther investment in stereo would be a M/S setup,
or maybe a modified SASS. Both are reasonably portable, and easy to set
up and give very good results. They will mix to mono and have no phase
problems as spaced mics can have, so are simple to use. For wide
expansive stereo my choice would be the SASS if working close enough.