RE: the lowest natural sound yet detected

Subject: RE: the lowest natural sound yet detected
From: "Scott Shepard" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:54:47 -0700
If you define sound as periodic rarefications and compressions of a gas
medium, then this is not a sound.  What has been detected, over all that
distance and time, is electromagnetic radiation.  By the same token, the
signals traveling through your audio cables are not sound.  They are
electrical signals ANALOGOUS to a sound event.  Takes a transducer such
as a microphone or speaker to convert between the two.

It's easy to confuse them, I remember some confusion about it coming up
in my electroacoustics class in EE school.  The point of the story, I
think, is that the frequency of the electromagnetic signal detected was
such that, if it were a sound, it would be the pitch indicated.  Not
very precise scientific journalism, calling it a sound.

BTW, the speed of light needs to be used instead of the speed of sound
in the wavelength calculation.

Talk to Stewart Brand and the Long Now folks.. (Google those and see
what you get!)

Scott Shepard

Kuma Sonics