Re: FLAC, LPAC and other lossless audio compressors.

Subject: Re: FLAC, LPAC and other lossless audio compressors.
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:31:11 -0000
The home for FLAC is http://flac.sourceforge.net/

You will find all the compatible plugins and the like there.
It sounds like you would most easily incorporate the command line
encode and decode into your application.  But the source code is
there too if you know how to play with that stuff.

Good luck

Rich Peet

--- In  Gianni Pavan <>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>          I'd like to have a compression software, FLAC would be ok,
in
> something like .dll to call it from within my VB software. Any hint
for
> finding something like that ?
>
> Gianni
>

> At 03.12 29/08/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >Glad that it tested out ok.
> >Let us all know if you find any other compression programs that
have
> >free .flt files for Cooledit.  That was the biggest advantage for
me
> >of just being able to treat them like just another file within my
> >choosen sound editor.
> >
> >Rich Peet
> >
> >--- In  Saint Exupery
> ><> wrote:

> > > Great sound record !
> > >
> > > I did some tests with the flac codec but also with the ogg
vorbis
> >just to
> > > have a better idea about the pro and the con of such
compressors. I
> >have
> > > used 2 long sound records respectively of 372Mb and 178 Mb for
this
> >purpose
> > > and, well, =85. I was agreeably surprised  !!!
> > >
> > > The flac codec is quite efficient and fast enough as the
> >compression level
> > > is not pushed over 5 . It is really a lossless format.  I
checked
> >it by
> > > converting an original .wav file in a .flac file and by
converting
> >the
> > > .flac file back to a .wav file. The two  .wav files are
identical.
> >I'm
> > > convinced now I will use it to store my original files !
> > >
> > > It is more difficult to have a judgement about the quality of
the
> >ogg
> > > vorbis  codec as I don't have good conditions to listen the
> >compressed
> > > files  (bloody computer fans !!!).  The next step will be to
make a
> > > furniture to isolate this noise and vibration generator called
PC=85

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/