Re: Re: FLAC, LPAC and other lossless audio compressors.

Subject: Re: Re: FLAC, LPAC and other lossless audio compressors.
From: Saint Exupery <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:24:18 +1200
At 02:20 28/08/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>I guess it was rude not to post a file to play with and test drive.
>
>http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/0148.fla
Great sound record !

I did some tests with the flac codec but also with the ogg vorbis just to
have a better idea about the pro and the con of such compressors. I have
used 2 long sound records respectively of 372Mb and 178 Mb for this purpose=

and, well, =85. I was agreeably surprised  !!!

The flac codec is quite efficient and fast enough as the compression level=

is not pushed over 5 . It is really a lossless format.  I checked it by
converting an original .wav file in a .flac file and by converting the
.flac file back to a .wav file. The two  .wav files are identical. I'm
convinced now I will use it to store my original files !

It is more difficult to have a judgement about the quality of the ogg
vorbis  codec as I don't have good conditions to listen the compressed
files  (bloody computer fans !!!).  The next step will be to make a
furniture to isolate this noise and vibration generator called PC=85

The first sound record is a seabirds colony without seabirds (they were
coming) ! The second one is the same seabirds colony few hours after :
really noisy (some samples available on
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/waughfil/index.htm).

File 1 (quite seabirds colony, stereo, 48 kHz, 16bit, 33m03)
Raw file .wav PCM:  372 MB

Lossless compression
Flac, compression level =3D5                      : 122.3 MB (
1m)        ratio =3D 3.0
Flac, compression level=3D8(max)          : 121.8 MB (4m20)       ratio =3D=
 3.0

Lossy compression but really good quality
Ogg Vorbis, quality=3D10 (max)                    : 105.4 MB
(3m50)       ratio =3D 3.5
Ogg Vorbis, quality=3D6 ("audiophile" qlty)       : 41.4 MB
(3m40)        ratio =3D 8.9

Lossy compression, "medium" quality
MP3 128kbps FraunHofferIIs                      : 31.0 MB
(1m12)        ratio =3D 12

File 2 (noisy seabirds colony, stereo, 48 kHz, 16bit 15m48)
Raw file .wav PCM:  178 MB

Lossless compression
Flac, compression level =3D5                      : 83 MB (
40s)          ratio =3D 2.1
Flac, compression level=3D8(max)          : 82.8 MB (2m)          ratio =3D=
 2.1

Lossy compression but really good quality
Ogg Vorbis, quality=3D10 (max)                    : 51.2MB
(1m50)         ratio=3D3.5
Ogg Vorbis, quality=3D6 ("audiophile" qlty)       : 20.1 MB
(2m)          ratio=3D8.8

Lossy compression, "medium" quality
MP3 128kbps FraunHofferIIs                      : 14.8 MB
(30s)         ratio=3D12

(test performed with an AMD 1.8 GHz - 512MB)