Re: Re: First attempt at thunderstorm recordings

Subject: Re: Re: First attempt at thunderstorm recordings
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:47:18 -0400
Rich Peet wrote:
> For being an unpublished, I am posting way to much lately but I have
> to jump in here.
>
> I accidently built the perfect mic for thunder and it will be changed
> after this season is over. I have setup a Crown Sass stereo mic
> correctly rated at 150 db max spl with mkh-110's to a separate
> output. I can record both stereo channels by separate recorders. By
> accident one of the mkh-110 is really a mkh-110-1. I wait and will
> chase any good storm, so far with nothing great this year due to the
> wx.

Have you found much difference in the MKH-110-1? Other than the obvious
going down to 0.1hz. As I remember it's supposed to be less sensitive.
And how did you determine it was that model?

> My ME-62's are rated at 130 spl and that is rated at 1,000 cycles. It
> really can not come close to that at 20 cycles.

This is the trouble with a lot of the ratings you will find for max spl
if doing something really low frequency.

> IMHO the best choice for a single thunder mic is a pzm.  This is
> because of the very small diaphram as well as the pzm plate size
> giving a good volume curve for thunder.
>
> Also IMHO the only "home run" in recording thunder is getting under a
> cloud to ground strike.  This is not "G" rated material.  It comes
> with a very high degree of danger and should not be attempted by
> those with young families or those that don't have eyes in the back
> of their heads.  Note that when your hair stands up on end, that
> means two things. 1. You are about to get a good recording, and 2.
> You are screwed.

Since I like the rumble better than the crack, I don't feel the need to
imitate a human lightning rod. I've been very, very close to enough
bolts in my life not to be enthused over the idea. You will normally
have no warning of the immediate hit.

And there are no rules about where, only probabilities. A few years back
I was standing in the middle of a overnight campsite for BRAG, people
everywhere. The site was parklike but fairly full of tall trees. The
buildings in the area had lightning rods. There were tents with metal
poles all about. There were two radio towers within blocks, and one of
the high tension power lines. It had already dumped a lot of heavy rain.
The bolt passed between some trees that were only about 10' apart and
went clear to the ground about 50' from where I was standing. I was
looking in the right direction to see as well as hear it. And there were
people closer than me. No one was hurt, but I'm quite sure the sound
level would have tested even a MKH-110.

For the frogs in rain one I'm looking for, the thunder is better not
center stage anyway. Even a good cloud lightning show will probably do.

I'll get lots of chances most years. This year was too calm, lots of
rain, far less than normal thunder.