First attempt at thunderstorm recordings

Subject: First attempt at thunderstorm recordings
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:28:14 -0700
Remember that infrasound is hard to impossible to reproduce with any
ease. If you're within range of from 25Hz and above, you're doing
better than most available sub-woofers can reproduce. (As a
reference, the lowest note on a standard range piano is 28.5Hz. and
most folks cannot distinguish that tone with any accuracy). While
some mics, hydrophones, and recorders (the Sony TCD-D10 Pro DAT, for
instance) can theoretically record down to as low as 3Hz., it will
have no practical effect on any human I know of.

The best and most dramatic and reproducable energy of t-storms that
we've found is generally in the range of from around 35Hz to 100Hz
with the "crack" around 1.5kHz. That's the stuff that really gets ya.

Bernie Krause