Re: Compression scheme: "Ogg Vorbis"

Subject: Re: Compression scheme: "Ogg Vorbis"
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:18:50 -0400
Marty Michener wrote:
> At 10:57 AM 8/19/2003 -0400, I wrote:
>
>>My question:
>>
>>How does "Ogg Vorbis" compression compare to MP3 compression for: file
>>size, quality and ease of conversions?  Any experience?
>>
>>my best regards,
>>Marty Michener
>

> All:
>
> Gee, I've never before had to ask twice!!  After three weeks of (sometimes
> fuming) opinions about ATRAC vs MP3 and nobody has any opinions about Ogg
> Vorbis digital compression???
>
> Doug, am I still connected here, or what?   ;^)
>
> This is purported to be "where open source meets the
> web-music-copyright-abuse controversy" . .

I've read a little about Ogg Vorbis.

My only opinion is that open source tends to be another word for Linux
OS, Not exactly setting the world on fire. Kind of marginal for
widespread use on a website for now. Needs to be stabilized and accepted
first.

If you are looking into newer methods, don't forget that the MPEG
standards have been updated. mp3 is now old stuff, the new standards are
Quicktime. I've got the encoders and decoders (they are part of
Quicktime), but have been waiting to update my website from mp3 to the
new stuff and in fact have not even messed with it. I expect the
internet will gradually move to the new MPEG. When it does I'll get into
that.

My website will certainly be maintained with whatever can be played by
the most computers.