Re: hints for buying a good MD

Subject: Re: hints for buying a good MD
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:07:31 -0000
Gianni Pavan wrote:

> Can you suggest a good [MD] portable with
> low noise mic inputs AND both digital
> input and output ?

The more expensive HHB Portadisc ($1400) and the
Marantz PMD650 ($900) minidisc recorders both
offer digital coax (rather than optical)
in and out.  These units are about as large
and as heavy as the familiar Sony and Marantz
cassette decks.

Less expensive consumer grade minidiscs (Sony,
Sharp, etc) have SPDIF optical digital input,
but all lack digital output.  The solution used
by some is to purchase a separate MD deck like
the Sony MXD-D400 ($300). It offers optical
digital in and out, plus a cd player for cd
to md copying.

My bias is toward Sharp MDs for field use.
Take a look at the Sharp MD-DR7 (called MD-DR470
in Europe), cost about $280.

Whether any MD has a "low noise" mic input
depends a lot on which mic you're using.

--oryoki