Re: Re: hints for buying a good MD

Subject: Re: Re: hints for buying a good MD
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:29:47 -0700
At 10:07 AM 8/19/2003, oryoki wrote:
>Gianni Pavan wrote:
>
> > Can you suggest a good [MD] portable with
> > low noise mic inputs AND both digital
> > input and output ?
>
>The more expensive HHB Portadisc ($1400) and the
>Marantz PMD650 ($900) minidisc recorders both
>offer digital coax (rather than optical)
>in and out.  These units are about as large
>and as heavy as the familiar Sony and Marantz
>cassette decks.
>
>Less expensive consumer grade minidiscs (Sony,
>Sharp, etc) have SPDIF optical digital input,
>but all lack digital output.  The solution used
>by some is to purchase a separate MD deck like
>the Sony MXD-D400 ($300). It offers optical
>digital in and out, plus a cd player for cd
>to md copying.
>
>My bias is toward Sharp MDs for field use.
>Take a look at the Sharp MD-DR7 (called MD-DR470

I just received the new DR7 from Sharp, and so far I'm impressed! I
especially like the 5,10 or 30-second pre-record feature (they call it
"trace-back"). This allows you to pre-record up to 30 seconds of sound
before you press the record-pause button to start recording. Just like the
big boys!).

I'll be posting a more detailed review in a week or so.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator