Re: minidisc

Subject: Re: minidisc
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:59:53 -0000
gene dorcas wrote:
> I am trying to decide on a MD to purchase.
> Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion
> on the ATRAC DSP Type-S  that Sony has in their
> MZ-N10, or does anyone have a suggestion for a
> good MD for the field ...

I've read that ATRAC Type R adds improvements
that affect SP recording.  The more recent Type S
improves playback of MDLP.  So there's no reason
to seek out Type S for recording.

If you like the N10, then shop for the newer N910.
The N10 has a permanently mounted internal rechargable
battery, while the N910 has the removable "gumstick"
battery. You might need to change batteries in the field!

I prefer the Sharp minidisc for field recording.
The Sharp MD-DR7 has a "time-shift" recording
feature, just like expensive pro recorders.  This
feature captures sound in a memory buffer while
the machine is in record/pause mode.  Release
pause and the sound is recorded to minidisc.
This is useful when you're waiting for a bird
or frog to star vocalizing.

If you don't need the DR-7's features, then
consider the Sharp MD-MT290.  This recorder
uses an AA battery rather than the expensive
"gumstick" rechargable battery.  You can use
an AA rechargable cell if you prefer.

Check www.minidisco.com for current prices on
all these models.

One new gadget I've found to be useful when
recording with a consumer minidisc is a
Felmicamps amplifier cable.  The XLR cable
end houses an amplifier circuit that
is powered by the "plug-in power" provided
by the consumer minidisc recorder through the
mic-in port.  The amp supposedly raises
record levels by 20dB.  The result certainly
is louder.=20

Certainly this inexpensive amp adds noise
to the recording.  It's a good match for
the noise levels you record with the Sennheiser
ME series of microphones rather than the
quieter MKH series.

For more information about this amplifier see
www.felmicamps.co.uk/fel3.5series.html

--oryoki