Re: mosquito windscreen color reaction

Subject: Re: mosquito windscreen color reaction
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:53:55 -0400
> My use of white was not based on research it was based on blood
> donation in very high bug areas.  Research does seem to support my
> choice.
>
> Rich Peet

I did a little research in Canada. My Ranger is white, with black trim.
Inside there are a couple shades of gray. Observations in daylight and
evening hours showed no preference as far as which color the mosquitos
landed on. Plenty on all colors. Tried blue, light brown and white
shirts (on me, not the car), also no difference. At night they also
showed no color preference.

Incidentally, tried both deet based (very carefully) and the citronella
based repellant I normally use. The deet attracted more mosquitos than
the citronella, but it was about even if they found me to bite.
Citronella they hovered a average a little farther away while hunting me.

Canadian mosquitos as I found them were easy to deal with compared to
Georgia's mix. Though plentiful they were less agressive than some of ours.

In my mountaineering days we used to prefer blue tents. The mosquitos
were more likely to land on the tent than you. Of course inside a blue
tent you are blue too in daylight. And all rules were off in the dark.
That was out in the Pacific NW. I believe that the use of blue was
started from some research out there.

It might be that some of the differences we observe have to do with how
many species of mosquitos there are. Or could be regional differences.