Re: parabolic windscreens

Subject: Re: parabolic windscreens
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 00:03:59 -0400
Kevin J. Colver wrote:
> Walt said: "I do have some problems with the noise
> of insects hitting the dish from behind when it's on. With it off,
> insects hit the dish from both sides."
>
> This is the problem with having non-nature recordists design these
> things.  Rain hitting the back of the dish is also a major problem,
> making recording in the rain or bugs nearly impossible.  I solved this
> problem easily long ago with a home designed fleece cover that
> completely covers the front and back of the dish.  This mutes the sound
> of smaller bugs and raindrops from hitting the dish although major
> collisions are still heard.  I can record in light rain as well as 50
> mph wind this way.

Maybe you have lighter rain than we do, and lighter bugs. I've tried a
number of back cover materials, and all stop little of the raindrop
sound. The primary problem I have with bugs is that I record at night,
and the slightest flash of light can bring on big moths and beetles,
both of which thump with the covers I've tried.

So, for now I just use the cover designed by Rycote for the Telinga. It
does take care of wind problems. And keep my headlamp off when
recording, the bug light yellow display of the Portadisc does not seem
to attract insects.

> It is important in wind to have the fabric across the front of the dish
> tight so it doesn't flap.  Some type of drawstring in the back to cinch
> up the fabric helps because fabrics stretch and become loose over time.

The fabric of the Rycote cover for the Telinga is elastic and has a
elastic drawstring at the edge, so it never has a problem with flapping.
And it's quite a few years old now.