Re: Magnetic tape playback

Subject: Re: Magnetic tape playback
From: "Adam Liberman" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:18:07 -0000
Steve,

> My thought has been that all the "magical parameters" that only
experts
> understand and can adjust (eg azimuth etc.) will thus differ as
little as
> possible between recording and playback. My hope is that the
overall quality
> of the reproduction will be highest that way. Is this a reasonable
> expectation or just silly on my part?

This will ensure that azimuth and track position are in perfect
agreement. But it won't necessarily guarantee any better match for
frequency response and level. That's because playback and record
constitute two different sets of adjustments, and the errors your
machine has in playback and record may cancel each other out and
make it better or may add together and make it worse. So for the
absolute best results, you should have your machine aligned.

Short of that, you can do this to find the tape brand and type that
best matches how your recorder is already adjusted:

Record the noise between FM stations using a patch cord at a
recording level of about minus 20dB on your level meter. Play it
back, or if you have a 3-head machine switch between source and
tape. Listen to the highs and lows and see if the tape playback
sounds like the original. Pick the tape that sounds closest to the
original, especially in the high frequencies.

- Adam Liberman
Liberman Sound
www.libermansound.com