Re: Re: Moderator's Note: "Off-topic" posts

Subject: Re: Re: Moderator's Note: "Off-topic" posts
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:51:55 -0400
At 09:11 PM 7/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Rich Peet wrote:
> > In my local area the good news is the death of the "crotch rocket".
> > I have seen a good 90% drop in high db motorcycles in my area. Only
> > the Harley is left and even this group is using more mufflers.
> >
> > Either the machines died, or the drivers became organ donors.  It is
> > a great change in the last few years.  It was a frequent problem 5
> > years ago to have these machines heard up to 6 miles and now they are
> > almost gone.

OK, you want a rant about noise?

Died?? Oh my God, no maam, they all moved to New Hampshire to "live free or
die" (I sometimes get so extreme as to wish the latter.)

BTW: News fact: The Chelmsford, MA, Harley-Davidson club was taken down by
the anti-racketeering Feds two years ago for all carrying ball-peen hammers
in their tool boxes ("Hey, no harm in that, its just a tool!!??") with
which, the Feds showed in court, these "club members" routinely performed
human torture work -- everything from knee-cappings to terminal cerebral
concussions.  They shook down one too many nightclubs, I figure, and the
Feds put hundreds in jail, man woman and child.

And I doubt you good people have _any_idea_ about disruptive impulse noise.
At 75 Hannah Drive, on five evenings out of every seven, we have a gun club
shooting skeet, AIMED at my house across a short valley.  There is a NH
state law grandfathering the gun club from any criticism or repermitting
problems, no matter how much MORE noise they create by re-siting their
range or by tripling their membership.  The shear lead accumulation in the
white pine forest is amazing to calculate.

Try:  84 dBA  shotgun "bang" peaks at my lawn, on most evenings, from 20 to
40 rounds per minute, against an ambient bg. of 40 dBA.  Don't
believe?  I'll gladly post a recording . . . In real life, I haven't made
nature recordings at MY HOUSE in ten years.  And you wondered why I went to
record in the tropics . . . ;^)  The only plus side is these "hunters"
never get up and shoot before 9 am.  I think these guys are to real hunters
as video gamesman are to real police / skiiers / cyclists / racers.  Except
for the noise which often disrupts normal yard conversation.

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds.com