Moderator's Note: "Off-topic" posts

Subject: Moderator's Note: "Off-topic" posts
From: "Doug Von Gausig" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:35:29 -0000
I've been asked recently off-group to clarify the group policy
regarding "off-topic" posts. While this group's stated purpose is
discussion of topics related to recording natural sound, I feel that
a certain amount of friendly "off-topic" chatter among the members
serves to bind the group together and to create a more informal
atmosphere of converstaion. In my opinion, this informal atmosphere
serves to "lubricate" the group dicussions, and they flow more easily
and intimately. For these reasons I seldom interfere with minor off-
topic posts as long as I feel they achieve that goal.

I do, on occasion, write off-group to individuals whom I feel have
stepped over some arbitrary line (which is defined solely by my mood
du jour, what else I have on my mind, and what the poster's history
has been in the group). I read each and every post to this group, and
if anyone has a stake in keeping extraneous posts down, it is I.

With the forgoing in mind, if anyone feels that "O-T" posts are
becoming burdensome or offensive, I urge you to write directly to me
off-group and I will reconsider the situation, each on its own merits
and considering the history of the poster. I hesitate to become the
arbiter between parties who are feuding, and I will not allow feuds
to continue in group posts, and I urge you to attempt reconciliation
between yourselves before involving your moderator.

Doug
Your Moderator (who yesterday recorded Horned Larks and American
Pipets at 12,700' in the Colorado Rockies)