Re: Digital Distortion

Subject: Re: Digital Distortion
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:47:15 +0200
Yes, that's what I mean, Walt. There is no meaning in setting a fixed
0-level, but rather a "fitting" level.

But I still might need to change the level!

Comparison: I can have a .tif picture. I can change the size of it (bigger
OR smaller) and clearly see how the sharpness go away. I can "sharpen" it,
and clearly see how tiny white lines grow around the egdes. For example.

Is that what happens to my sound files too?? More or less?

I might get provocative now, but it feels like these matters are terribly
basic! In the analog world it's "beginners level"! I'm actually a bit
chocked that there seems to be no answer in the digital world. Or is it jus=
too complicated?

Or can I be sure that the digital errors are always below audible level?

Digital recording is by all means better than analog recording! That's not
the issue here. The issue is if it is better to go analog with all changes,
and let the sound card only create the final digits?

The issue is wheather I can trust a WaveLab software install (looking like
hardware on my screen) to do the job as good as an analog likewise?

My son asked me the other day that "why do you care about those things, dad=
,
people won't hear it anyway because of the computer fan..."

Is he right?

Klas.