Re: Headroom for processing

Subject: Re: Headroom for processing
From: "Steve Pelikan" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:35:44 -0400
Dan Dugan, in a reply to Klas Strandberg (about digital manipulation, and
especially w.r.t normalization), wrote

> In intermediate steps, you need headroom
> for processing.

My question: I've always assumed that most digital manipluations were done
as floating point (thus giving
more headroom than even long integers could require.) Is this true? If not,
what are the problems with using
floats?

In the sound manipulation program (1) I'm working on, I've temporarily
provided means to perform manipulations either with either integer or
floating point aoperations because I didn't know what was considered
superior. I can't say that I've ever noticed a difference.

By the way, I don't normalize either.

Thanks,

Steve Pelikan

(1) http://math.uc.edu/~pelikan/Dora/