Re: Re: Headroom for processing

Subject: Re: Re: Headroom for processing
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:52:29 -0700
There was an article in a recent Electronic Musician (if I'm not
mistaken?) about 32 bit floating point (which is a 24 bit mantissa
and 8 bit exponent) and 24 bit integer formats.

ProTools, fwiw, stores sound as 24 bit integer (or 16 bit, if you use
that mode) and mixes using a 56 bit accumulator.  There's an option
of a "dithered mixer" which uses a little extra DSP to dither the mix
before it's bumped back to 24 bit at the output.

Not a DSP whiz, so I leave someone else to interpret.