Re: Disk Crash

Subject: Re: Disk Crash
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 20:56:12 -0400
Barb Beck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You can also set up a PC anyway to automatically back up one big drive on
> another.  It means having two drives for each one you really use but save=
s a
> lot of work in event of a crash. It does not protect against stupidity - =
if
> you accidentally trash a file and save it will also be put on the second
> disk but does help in a crash.

There are a number of ways to have redundant copies like that. I don't
think any of them are perfectly foolproof.

With as many disks as I'm running I've considered setting up a RAID
array, one way to do it. I have been doing manual cross backups. If it
had been any other disk in my set I'd have been fine. But it caught be
just right as I was shuffling things in prep for getting OSX running.

> Really sorry about your problems Walt.  You have my deepest sympathy.  Ev=
en
> when things are backed up it is a heqq of a pain in the neck to pull
> everything back particularly when you are working with so many gigs of da=
ta.

With big disks it seems like you never have everything backed up, or the
backups are old.

Luckily I'd just backed up the system and my email backup was only a
week old. That saved lots of time getting back going. And I can be
thankful that the work files for the Georgia CD probably can go with no
problem, it would have been far worse to have this happen in the middle
of doing that.

I'll get things put together. With a multiple disk system I was up and
running quite a bit faster than a single disk system. I'm going to think
about how to make it even easier if it happens again. I have enough
freespace to maintain cross backups, just have to make sure and keep
them up to date.

To give you a idea how long it's been. Last full disk failure the entire
disk was just backed up, on two 230meg optical disks. Sure was simple
back then. That one was less spectacular, no coffee grinder sounds, no
special sound at all, but disk was internally dead even though it was
spinning.