Re: Disk Crash

Subject: Re: Disk Crash
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:32:41 -0400
Rich Peet wrote:
> I just lost my main audio library hard drive as well.  No chance of
> recovery, but I have been wanting to re-edit from scratch anyway.  So
> sitting here for the next month editing and building stuff is what I
> guess I am up to.  Unless I fall into a project that I can not turn
> down.

Actually my main audio library drive is still running fine. And it's all
backed up. The one that failed had one partition (36 gig) that was
nearly full of files from building the Georgia Frog CD. I've been trying
to figure out just what to back up from that. The CD is done, and I have
backups of some intermediates and the final files. I'd been waiting for
the final release before doing anything. Looks like it's been decided
what I'm backing up. Luckily I do have the critical lists of just what
tracks were used in the CD. As well as CD's of the filtered versions.

The more lost stuff was on the main system partition. That included most
all this spring's recordings, which I'll have to recover from the
original minidiscs as they were not yet backed up. As you say, reprocess
it all. And it included the pile of data I had accumulated off the
internet on mics and other such subjects. I referred to that data a lot,
but the backup is way out of date on it. At least most all of that can
still be found on the internet, time to start over on that.

I spent this evening downloading all my website. The up to date local
copy was lost, just one a few months old. If I was not dealing with the
HD, I'd be busy updating maps on my website. Lots of new county data on
the frogs from this week's foray.

> I have run hard drives for fax and v-mail for a number of years and
> it does not seem to matter the rpm or physical size.  They all seem
> to die for me from 4-6 years on continual spin.  That is unless some
> project becomes important and very time critical.  Then the drive
> seems to know to die then.

Up to now, the Quantum drives have given me no reason to complain. Way
back that I lost the only other one. With the big drives nowdays it's
harder to reliably back them up. I'm going to think about how to handle
it. Probably a shadow set of hard disks on top of the optical backups of
selected stuff. I'd been doing that informally, just not complete enough.