Re: Lyrebird

Subject: Re: Lyrebird
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:38:24 +1000
Doug and All,

John Neville wrote (Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:40:04 -0700):

> Martyn;
> I have never met a Lyrebird, but he sounds like quite a character!
> You're recording was absolutely beatiful, with a tranquil ambience.
> I had a similar pleasure last year listening to Syd Curtis award winning bird
> for the Wildlife Sound Recording Society.
> John Neville

As John implies, that too was of an Albert's Lyrebird.  Curious, is it not,
that the same species inspired/produced such fascinating sounds.

They are extremely shy and therefore difficult to record in the wild.  The
WSRS has a fieldcraft award which I hoped to win, and I simply grabbed the
first two minutes of a lengthy lyrebird recording as an excuse to describe
the fieldcraft involved.  I didn't win the fieldcraft award but, to my
surprise, the recording itself got an award.

Two minutes is too long to send as an email attachment, but I'd be happy to
airmail a CD of it to you, Doug, or to anyone you nominate.  I don't have a
web site I can put it on.  My son Kimbal, whom Vicki Powys has mentioned,
urges me to set one up for lyrebirds.  He would help with the technical
details, but even so, I'm far from sure it's within my limited capabilities,
where the internet is concerned.

Please give me a postal address if the CD is wanted.

Cheers

Syd