Re: For all the newbies: Equipment is important, but...

Subject: Re: For all the newbies: Equipment is important, but...
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:11:08 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Hi Doug--
> More on what we are recording/encountering, some on how and less with
> what gear. Its a problem, I agree. Still people do come to the list
> for the expertise. An FAQ created by the subscribers could be a
> significant resource and should include experiences about mics.  When
> people consider buying expensive gear, they want it to be a good
> investment.  We can find many similar enquires in the archives from
> many long standing subscribers. Gear will always be in the mix. I
> think its better to accept this up front and work towards a list
> culture where newbies and oldies can be encouraged/reminded to look
> at the Nature Recordists links and find answers to FAQ's. For
> example, I can't find Walter's mic tests linked on our yahoo SR
> member page.   I'm willing to do some of the work towards creating
> more FAQ resources. If you're opposed to this direction, no problem.
> I should be wiring up the power supply for the mics Pete is letting
> me try out anyway.
> Best Regards,
> Rob Danielson
>=20=20=20=09=20=09

 From the very beginning equipment discussions have been a big part of
the group. It's a important part of why we are in this group. I do agree
with Doug that it's become maybe a bit too much while other areas are
neglected. Or maybe equipment discussions should be more field oriented.

I agree, a lot of this could be handled by some webpages. Though I don't
think it's going to work to try and compile all the comments on each
mic. That's endless and often specific to certain types of environments
and animals.

I might note that I'm not going to be able to keep up all samples I post
on my own website. I simply don't have enough webspace. As it is, I
don't post as much as I could. I am perfectly happy to contribute to
some kind of permanent web location. Their home now is temporary in that
eventually new samples will replace them. The only link I'm committed to
keeping up long term right now is:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html

I'm not really a expert with mic specs cluttering my mind all the time.
I just have this folder on my HD called "Nature Recordists" and in that
every scrap of info I feel is useful to me gets dropped. Including a
folder called mics, in which there are lots and lots of pdf's and so on
I've downloaded from the manufacturer's pages. If you want to know about
a particular mic, it's always good to go off and see what the
manufacturer provides. That's how I come up with them. As well as
reading reviews that can be found on the internet.

I have been focused on mic setups in the last couple years because I've
been expanding my kit. Over the 5 years that most of my time was devoted
to scientific survey, I was thinking about where I'd want to go when
that was officially done. I'm continuing the survey at a reduced effort
and I definitely wanted to do more quality listening recording, and as
my studies got far enough along, and a very unfortunate incident in my
life made some money available, I started in to accumulate what I
needed. Over the last two years I've spent a huge amount of effort on
watching Ebay and all the rest to accumulate the gear. I'm now at the
stage where a good part of it is set up in it's initial configurations
and part of my kit. Though I'm still designing other equipment. And
still looking for a few things.

Over the next few years I'm going to be focused a whole lot less on mic
specs, and a whole lot more on learning all these new toys out in the
field recording. The point is that it definitely takes a lot of time to
go through the process of new equipment additions, and a lot of that is
done while out recording, just thinking how each situation might be
better recorded. Unless your funds are truly unlimited, you have to make
choices. And once you get the equipment, you have to learn it by recording.