Re: For all the newbies: Equipment is important, but...

Subject: Re: For all the newbies: Equipment is important, but...
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:34:43 -0500
>I am a little dismayed at the direction this group has taken lately toward
>discussions of equipment almost exclusively. If I were a new recordists
>trying to get a handle on how it's done and I read this list I might assum=
>that equipment is much more important than it really is. Mics are
>important, of course, and the recording medium matters, but what really
>makes you a recordist is recording!
>
>Any mic feeding any medium will do the job. The most important thing is to
>get out there in nature and start recording. Record everything you hear -
>from the front, from the side, in the bushes, in a field, with cassette
>tape, MiniDisc, DAT, cheap mics, stereo, whatever - just record. It is far=
,
>far more important to get some experience under your belt than it is to us=
>the "right" equipment.
>
>As the ad says: "Just do it".
>
>Worrying about the right equipment and its arcane specifications is
>important only after you have developed your recording skills out in the
>field. When you are ready for expensive equipment and pre-amps and M-S
>stereo setups, you'll know it. For now, have fun.
>
>My 2=A2.
>
>Doug
>

>Doug Von Gausig
>Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
>Moderator
>Nature Recordists e-mail group
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists

Hi Doug--
More on what we are recording/encountering, some on how and less with
what gear. Its a problem, I agree. Still people do come to the list
for the expertise. An FAQ created by the subscribers could be a
significant resource and should include experiences about mics.  When
people consider buying expensive gear, they want it to be a good
investment.  We can find many similar enquires in the archives from
many long standing subscribers. Gear will always be in the mix. I
think its better to accept this up front and work towards a list
culture where newbies and oldies can be encouraged/reminded to look
at the Nature Recordists links and find answers to FAQ's. For
example, I can't find Walter's mic tests linked on our yahoo SR
member page.   I'm willing to do some of the work towards creating
more FAQ resources. If you're opposed to this direction, no problem.
I should be wiring up the power supply for the mics Pete is letting
me try out anyway.
Best Regards,
Rob Danielson
=20=20=09=20=09