Re: Shotgun microphone

Subject: Re: Shotgun microphone
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:00:57 -0500
Klas Strandberg wrote:
> At 14:00 2003-04-03 -0000, you wrote:
>
>>Thank you very much Klas. I did not have any problem with my
>>Telinga. I have got excellent recordings of Indian Birds using
>>this. In any case background sound in tropical forests is
>>generally high, so I think inherent noise does not make much
>>difference. My only concern is getting good recordings of very low
>>frequency bird calls. Since my main mike will be Telinga, I will
>>have limited use of the other mike. Which MKH shotgun do you think
>>will suit my requirement?
>

> No difference between the models. You can also try to get an old MKH814 o=
r 816.
>=20
>  How good will be Telinga without dish
>
>>for low frequency?
>

> Just like any other omni. Quite good down to 50-60 Hz.
>
> Klas.

Let's note something. The mic will be just as good with the dish. In
fact, it will be better. There will be some gain even at that low level.

This is certainly the case with the current Telinga Pro V. It picks up
low frequencies, With Gain. Removing the mic from the dish lowers the
gain at low frequencies. I verified this today on random low frequency
stuff outside (including doves). I know the Telinga Pro V picks up owls
very well as I record distant owls incidental to my frog recordings.

Let us look at the shotgun mic. A shotgun mic gives you no gain
advantage over a omni. It has a interference tube which attenuates the
off axis sound, but on axis it's a regular mic in a tube, no extra gain
compared to a regular mic of the same sensitivity.  You use a shotgun
mic to narrow the pickup field, not for increased reach. You then get
some gain by amplifying the mic output (including amplifying it's self
noise)

Combine those two, and what you get is that even at low frequencies if
the mic capsules have the same sensitivity you will do better with the
parabolic than with a shotgun for reach.

My question is have you tried the parabolic on the bird calls you are
worrying about? If not, try it. You might save yourself some money.

If you are still set on getting a shotgun, your price range could
probably buy a Sennheiser ME67 off Ebay or used elsewhere. I'd be really
surprised at getting a MKH 416 or 816 in good shape for that little.
Certainly Ebay prices are higher than that.