Re: Re: Shotgun microphone

Subject: Re: Re: Shotgun microphone
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:52:14 +0200
Folks,

Generally:

1/ A parabol makes the sound "come closer" by boosting high frequencies.
2/ When removing the dish, the microphone will work as any omni-directional
microphone, for all frequencies.
3/ A directional microphone will attenuate ambient sounds.

There are several problems with a shot-gun which are difficult to avoid:
Handling and wind noise, also inherent noise. Only the Sennheiser MKH-series
will perform well, together with the special suspension and zeppelin wind
cage + fur.

Pratap: You have the first PRO2 model from 1982. It's only disadvantage is
the relativelly high inherent noise level, compared to a PRO5 + a Twin
Science mic or stereo DATmic. Krister used it for several years. He made
lots of very interesting recordings with it - "Soviet Bird Song" for example.

Klas.

At 21:34 2003-04-02 -0600, you wrote:

>Pratap Singh wrote:
>>Dear Rob Danielson,
>>Thanks for quick response. My Telinga is not good for very low
>>frequency sounds of owls, doves, pigeons etc. I bought used
>>Telinga from Krister Mild . I am not sure of its model. It runs on
>>15 volt battery and is mono. The mic is linked to the handle with
>>about 1cm dia tube.
>>
>>Pratap Singh
>>
>>On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 Rob Danielson wrote :
>>>  >Dear Fellow Nature Recordists,
>>>  >
>>>  >I request for suggestion regarding buying a shotgun
>>>  >microphone(old/new) especially for recording low frequency
>>>bird
>>>  >sounds. I already have an old Teliga for high frequency. My
>>>budget
>>>  >is around $400.
>>>  >
>>>  >I will be grateful for an early response.
>>>  >
>>>  >Pratap singh
>>>  >

>>>Hi Pratap--
>>>Can you describe the situation and sounds you'd like to capture
>>>that
>>>you can't get with the Telinga? Which Telinga model?
>>  >Rob
>
>So, a broader bandwidth mic with decent reach for $400,.. There are
>others on the list with more experience with your Telinga and other
>options in this price range. If you are handy, you could  put an omni
>mic capsule like Klas's EM-23 into a home made parabolic dish. Doug
>Von Gausig, who moderates this list, sells the EM-23's. It will run
>from the powered mic input of most MD recorders.  If you were to get
>a new "shotgun" style mic in  the $400 range, chances are that it
>wouldn't provide a huge jump in quality for your recording
>requirements.
>Rob

>--
>Rob Danielson