selecting a recording location

Subject: selecting a recording location
From: "hexachord.geo" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 01:56:20 -0000
Hello,

I'm new to this group and a complete newbie to nature recording. With
spring just around the corner (I hope!) I was wondering if anyone had
any tips that might help me pick a location for my first nature
recording expedition? I plan on staying local so some specific
questions that come to mind...

Any web sites, books, or organizations that could be helpful in
finding out what type of wildlife I might find in my region?

Besides knowing what I might find in my area, any good resources for
info on migration or any other patterns that may have an impact on
the recording trip?

Any good rules to follow when avoiding civilization and industrial
noise pollution? For example, when considering a location should I
avoid it if I see it's within x miles of a highway or railroad tracks?

Thanks,

Alan